Sunday, April 5, 2015

Life in Honduras

There are a few changes to my everyday life here in Honduras. I thought I would share some of them with you all!

First, I don't have a sink in my bathroom. We're not sure why my bathroom was built without a sink. It must be that they just ran out of space because there really is no room for it. Since I don't have a sink I wash my face with a "paila" (pie-luh) which is basically the bucket/ bowl shown below. I'm completely fine not having a sink because I only use the paila for washing my face. I brush my teeth with a cup of water and just spit in to the shower drain.


Our water comes from a big tank that gets filled up by the city water about twice a week. When we are without power, the pump in our tank doesn't work and we're without water. If we are ever without water for a while, we have a back up called a pila (pee-luh). Pilas are common to many houses in Honduras. For some families, it is their only source of water so I am very lucky that we have a tank as well. The pila has two washboards on it since it is the only way for many people to do their laundry other than sending it off to be washed. Jamey and Lesley have a washing machine and I'm super super thankful for that. Below is a picture our our pila.


We are lucky to have a washer but we line dry our clothes like everyone else. With the warm weather here the clothes dry super quickly!


There are a lot of little geckos running around everywhere. They get in to my room often... and sometimes poop on my bed. They are pretty cute though so I don't mind. I was finally quick enough to capture one.


No comments:

Post a Comment