Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Day in the Life

I thought it might be helpful for me to lay out a "usual" day for me here.

I have decided that since I'm a working gal now, I should wake up at a decently early time each day and take my time getting ready. In college I would figure out how long I could possibly sleep and still be on time for class. In Honduras, I'm trying a different waking style! I get up between 7:30 and 8:00 each morning, take my shower, drink my coffee, eat my breakfast and read my bible. I don't have to be at the CDI until 10 and it's a minute walk to get there so I have ample relaxation time in the morning.

I used to reserve my journaling and Bible reading for night because I was lazy and wanted every second of extra sleep in the morning. Then, when I was tired at night it became easier and easier to skip my time with God because I valued sleep over everything. I decided to make the change to have morning quiet times this past fall and it has been so helpful. I'll be honest, there are some mornings where I run out of time and don't read and journal... no one's perfect; but just creating this morning routine has set my days off to a different tone. I am more aware of God moving around me and quicker to listen to His voice.

Back to the schedule...

I then get to the CDI at 10 and we begin classes. We have set up a schedule and it varies each day who I take out for tutoring. From about 10-10:30 I have one kid and then 10:30-11 I take out another student. At 11 it's time for lunch and we have until 11:30 before the kiddos have to go back home and head off to school.

Next up we have the afternoon children. They arrive between 12:00 and 12:30 and we finish lunch before 1. Then I take one student until 1:30 and another until 2. The afternoon kids have already come from school so they like to hang around and play some before going back home ...we rarely get out right at 2.

After everyone is out of the CDI, Lesley and I go back to the apartment and she, Jamey and I eat lunch. During the rest of my day I have free time which is spent on a variety of things...
-Grad school apps
-Hygiene class research
-Netflix
-CDI tutoring planning
-Skyping family
-Going out to the store
-Church small group
-Card games with Jamey and Lesley
-The occasional nap

Hopefully I will have a group of joven (young) girls to meet up with soon. I would love to get a group started where I can take the teen girls out for ice cream or coffee and we can all share life together.

So that's a typical day for me here! There is definitely a lot of work to be done but I have plenty of recharging time and I'm incredibly thankful for that.
We made flower crowns for craft day. The girls LOVED it!

On the left is Ariana and on the right is Cristhel. They are kindergarten aged and they love coloring


No comments:

Post a Comment