Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hard Decisions Made Clear

As some of you may know, I've been trying to decide between grad schools for the past month and a half. I was deciding between the Master's of Science in Global Health program at George Mason and the University and Notre Dame. I was astonished to get in to the program at Notre Dame and thought there was NO WAY I could pass up an opportunity like that. A few drawbacks... the tuition was about $40,000 after factoring out a small scholarship I received and I would be moving 12 hours away right after getting back from Honduras.

The program at Mason is way cheaper but still no small cost. Going to Mason would also let me live at home, so that was a bonus! I was entirely for Notre Dame until visiting the campus. It is a gorgeous campus and the people were very welcoming. I have nothing bad to say about Notre Dame at all... So I know you're thinking "then what the heck changed your mind?" It was a few things.

First, I didn't feel like ND was where I was supposed to be. The whole day I was there I just had a nagging feeling that this school was not my next step. Unfortunately, I also wasn't sold on Mason just yet. I found my self between a rock and a hard place and didn't know what to do next. A few family members suggested declining both programs and waiting a year and that didn't feel right either.

Luckily, I had a phone call meeting with Mason on the train ride home for reasons unclear to me at the time. The cell signal went out on the train immediately before my scheduled phone call and I had a mini freak out. I sat in the lounge car and paused and prayed. About 20 minutes later the cell service came back and I was able to talk to the program director for Mason. She kindly informed me that I was one of two students to receive and offer to participate in a graduate research assistantship (GRA). This lovely little research position requires 20 hours of work/ week and pays well over the cost of tuition. Can you say answered prayer??? I sure can!

I have accepted admission to GMU and will be living at home for the next two years. This decision has left me feeling excited and peaceful. Initially I was finding many ways to qualify the risks of taking on so much debt to go to a prestigious institution like Notre Dame but I think going to Mason is the wisest decision for me. It is abundantly clear that God is a perfect provider and has brought me back home for a little while longer.

I'm excited for this next adventure to begin after my internship in Honduras!

1 comment:

  1. CAROLINE! Such GREAT news!! God is so good!!! Praying for you in this journey and so excited to continue to see His plans unveil for you, miss you bunches <3

    ReplyDelete